Friday, January 4, 2008

SMELLING THE ROSES

It is the small things in life, that sometimes can give such simple pleasure.
My little garden that I have grown is just that.
The last two days have been a time of reflections and milestones, on what I have achieved since this time last year.
You see, my Mother passed away and my marriage of 30years collapsed all in the one day last January.
2007 is one year that my family and I are glad to see over -new beginnings for 2008.
If I think about it, it is hard to believe that so much happened, not only the events of January, but I was the victim of Internet Banking Fraud, my beloved Martha was hit by a car and fractured her hip, my ex; also fell and broke his shoulder, and so it went on.
I sold a house, packed and moved to Auckland from Nelson, so did my ex; although he is residing an hour away from me.
I had lunch with him today, and possibly that has prompted my pensive mood, but we are friends -(mostly), despite everything, and that has to be good.
I thought about it all whilst driving home to my little sanctuary, and felt almost lighthearted, and a sense of huge relief, that we have been able to move on and remain reasonably civilised in the process
I pottered in my garden with a glass of wine, and as they say `I had the time' to not only `Smell The Roses' but to actually enjoy it
I am going to remove this scoria in the Autumn and put in some shrubs, but the pots have been an `instant garden'
Look at my lettuces!!
Look closely, and you can see the huge truss of cherry tomatoes (not yet ripe), the tomato vine is laden! I count every day when I am chatting to them.:):)



10 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

Liz, love the colour and banner on your blog.
So happy for you that you have moved on so well with your life this last year. What a year it has been.Keep smelling those roses.
Alison

Artifax said...

Goodness, I had no idea that 2007 was such a horrid year for you. I wish you every happiness in 2008!! May the new year be filled with good things, lovely surprises and boundless happiness for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Liz, with 2007 now behind you we wish that 2008 will be a truly wonderful year for you :) Jenn and Jacqui

roseroomnz.com said...

Garden looks good

Sandi McBride said...

I don't know Liz, sometimes I feel so selfish, I'd like to live in your part of the world right now just so I could be growing tomatoes and all...but I'm going to enjoy winter, wait for spring...summer will be before I know it! Not terribly fond of summers here, lol...too hot...but your pictures are beautiful and I love coming in just to admire the that fine feline couple in the side bar!
xo
Sandi
p.s. thanks for coming by and birthday wishes!

Mary said...

Liz
I hope that 2008 will be a much better year for you and your family

Sassafras and LuLu said...

Hello Liz,
You happened by my little space so I wanted to stop by and visit you. You have had very rough dear!! Blessings to you in the new year and you begin a new path. Your garden looks great and the lettuce, what a wonderful salad they would make (i do love salads) I have not really a green thumb...grown very little. I am enjoying getting visits from others and will stop back again soon!
Carol
www.sassafrasandlulu.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Oh LIz!! You are so lucky to have flowers!!! I am so sick of winter already!! I will just enjoy your pictures and wait for the months to go by :)

Happy New Year!
Hugs,
Amy

bluemuf said...

Liz, you have done so very well this past year despite hardships. 2008 will be a stellar year for you. You now have your own lovely home and garden and you never know what wonderful adventures are just around the corner.

Hugs Karen

Sandi McBride said...

Liz, hope you are feeling more lighthearted today and not dwelling on last year. I've been thinking about you all day...
hugs
Sandi